cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of starting my digital nomad journey, but kinda scared and clueless

AminL
Weekender II

Hello everyone,

My name is Amin and I'm a software engineer based in Dubai, currently employed remotely with the help of Deel. I've been thinking about trying the digital nomad lifestyle lately, but I tend to overthink and worry about unlikely scenarios. Although I've traveled before, I've never gone alone with my work. I worry about things like what would happen if something goes wrong or if I'm not cut out for this lifestyle. I have a lot of questions that I can't seem to find answers for, which ultimately prevents me from taking the leap.

This year, I'm hoping to change my perspective and take the plunge. I'm curious if any of you have had similar feelings when starting out, and how your experience has been so far. Are there any remote work-friendly places that could help ease me into it? I apologize if my questions are a bit vague, but thank you for taking the time to read my message.

18 REPLIES 18

Gabriele
Deel Team

Hey @AminL, while I’m not a full digital nomad, I do move between places rather regularly and frequently, and some of your questions and doubts resonate with my experience, so I'll add my 2 cents while we wait for more detailed replies 🙂

1. I think uncertainty and maybe even some fear are totally normal when approaching big life changes, especially ones that require you to unroot from your established comfort and move. These feelings help you be critical of the choices you are making, and force you to plan for potential issues you may face along the way. This is a good thing.

2. If you enjoy learning, this is a great chance to dive into a lot of things you might never even thought of. What visa requirements do different countries have? How do you find a place? How long can you stay? How will you communicate? While many people may find these issues stressful or boring, there's something exciting about clearing the path in front of you and getting one step closer to your goal.

3. You always have the option to change your mind. If at any point you decide traveling doesn't work for you, or that a specific location isn't what you expected, or that you miss your home, that's totally fine. 

I hope this is a helpful starting point, and if you have any specific questions, the community will surely have more tips for you!

And if you do go, keep us updated 😉

Thanks for replying Gabrielle! You raise some very valid points and I will never know if I don''t go (also a very popular Smashmouth lyric! 😄).

I really liked your 2nd point about taking the challenges as a way of learning instead of viewing them as issues. I think changing my view about those will really help me push forward with my decision and if things don't go according to plan, I can always come back as you mentioned.

A follow up question if its not a bother, where do you prefer to stay while traveling? Hostels or AirBnBs or hotels? I guess its more of a preference but would like to know your experience about it. Thanks again!

Hey @AminL. I usually don't stop too much along the way, and stay at an apartment for longer periods of time. But for short stops I'll co for anything that fits my needs. These usually are:

• Privacy, so no shared rooms or lack of quiet areas
  • Affordability
  • Logistics, so if I just need a place to sleep and will carry on travelling the next day, a hotel near the highway or public transport will do, if I'm planning to sightsee, or stroll around the city, I'll usually look for something near the city center. 

I'm usually not too concerned with other details, like size of the room, furniture, and other small details as long as I have a bed and bathroom. 

For longer apartment stays, I would suggest really putting some research into where you are going. Choosing the right place can make a big difference in how you experience a city. While the experience is usually worth it anyway, finding the right place can make it exponentially better. 

StefanaZ
Deel Team

Hey @AminL! First of all, congrats on the decision to become a digital nomad - I'd certainly do that if I didn't have a kid who needs to go to daycare/school. 😄 

Have you seen this blog post on our blog? I interviewed our team members who live as digital nomads to write it. They shared some really cool tips. Hope it helps!

For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. So collapse. Crumble. This is not your destruction. This is your birth.

aimaatigari
Explorer

Hey @AminL I totally understand your hesitation. Just like @Gabriele mentioned, it's totally normal to feel this way when you want to make such big decisions. 🙂 I myself have thought about adopting this kind of lifestyle at some point in my life when I can afford it. As a matter of fact, it's a dream for me, and I strongly believe it will help boost my productivity and creativity. So looking forward to indulging. 

One thing I think would most likely help is doing this with someone who is within your community, and/or a friend that has the means as well. I mean you don't have to stay in the same room if you don't want. You can agree on locations, move together and it would feel like putting one foot in the water until you are confident enough to take a deep dive. 

I hope my contribution can help you take the big step😁 and hey, tell us how it goes 👏

Thanks for the great tip @aimaatigari ! I never thought about looking for someone within my community, that would be surely make it easier and more fun. I have just put out a reddit post after reading your reply. Thanks again!

@aimaatigari makes a very good point! Another option is to meet people as you go. As you probably noticed, the community already has people from all over the world. This is a great opportunity to meet new people that can give you tips and help you out when you move somewhere. 

A lot of my colleagues at Deel will arrange to meet other colleagues when they go to a new city or country, and not being completely alone when landing somewhere new can help make the experience way easier and more fun!

Great point you have here Gabriele!

Hey @AminL glad I could help! Please also share how it goes, I'm sure it would give a lot of courage to many who are in similar situations.

Daisy81
Explorer

Ah, you really summed up my own feelings so well @AminL! I recently started in a fully remote role, so I feel like there are a lot of good opportunities to work and travel. But similarly to you, I have been pretty nervous about taking the full on plunge, so I was considering trying it out for 2-4 weeks to see how I fare in a new setting. I know that's not exactly the same as just ripping off the band-aid and fully immersing myself in a new place, but I think I personally have a lot of anxieties that would be better handled if I slowly adapt.

I live in the US, so I was thinking that a less anxiety-inducing way to approach digital nomad life would be to travel to Canada, Iceland or Mexico – still far enough to feel the adrenaline of going somewhere new, but close enough that if I get uncomfortable, I could head back home relatively easily. 

I saw that there's an event happening tomorrow with Deel and a company called Outsite that seemed interesting. 
How to live and work remotely in Mexico, France, Spain or Portugal? 

I saw that you asked @Gabriele about where he likes to stay when he travels, and it looks like Outsite is like...an Airbnb or co-living space for digital nomads. Might be interesting to you if you have considered Mexico, France, Spain or Portugal as a place to explore! 

Let us know where you end up exploring and good luck! It sounds super exciting 🙌

ahmedmousa
Deel Team

Marhaba Amin!

I'm excited to hear that you're considering the digital nomad lifestyle! It's normal to have some worries and concerns when you're trying something new, but I'm confident that you'll find the experience to be rewarding and fulfilling.

I can tell you that there are amazing experiences waiting for you out there. I've been lucky enough to work remotely from eleven countries last year and learned that you can find reliable internet, good food, and a gym pretty much anywhere you go. Some of my favorite experiences have included learning how to brew Vietnamese coffee in HoChi Minh City and reading fortunes from coffee grounds in Istanbul. I'm excited to learn how to roast coffee on my trip to Ethiopia. (Notice a trend here? 😅)

In terms of easing into the lifestyle, I completely agree with others that planning a couple of shorter trips is a great way to test the waters. You could start with a week or two in a destination that interests you and see how you feel about the experience. You could also look for destinations that are popular with digital nomads, such as Bali or Chiang Mai, which have thriving remote work communities.

Don't let your worries hold you back from pursuing your dreams. Take the leap and see where it takes you! Remember, the worst-case scenario is not that bad. If things don't work out, you can always go back to your previous lifestyle. But, imagine the best-case scenario, where you get to experience new cultures, meet new people, and enjoy the freedom of working remotely!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey. I'm excited to hear about all the amazing experiences you'll have!

CassyL
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @AminL

I hope you're doing well! I'm not sure if, given the suggestions in the thread, you've already firmed up your ideas for where to travel this year. If you haven't made your decision yet though, I wanted to share that Deel now offers digital nomad visa services for Spain, and Portugal (and the UAE but you're already in Dubai!).

If either of those countries are options you're interested in, you can schedule a call to chat with our immigration experts to learn more. In terms of the services, Deel would help with the application process, answering questions specific to your personal situation, and managing expectations and communications with you from start to finish.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions!

Hi Cassyl,

My name is Raj. I am newly hired by Deel for remote work. I am from India. I am thinking of using the digital nomad visa to UAE and work from there to save on Income tax. Can you please guide me how to contact with Deel to get the digital nomad visa for UAE?

Hi @Circ_Raj, exciting to hear that you're interested in the UAE. You can learn more about the countries Deel offers services for Digital Nomad Visas in this post

To book time with our team, you can use the links below for the respective countries.

Book time to speak to our immigration experts: 

Thanks for being a part of the Deel Community and chiming in. We look forward to hearing about your adventures in Dubai!

AminL
Weekender II

PXL_20230619_102257841.MP.jpg

Thought I'd share a little update from Bangkok, my first Digital nomad trip (super cliched and just for a week) I've been doing things I didn't think I ever would

Just day 2 today, and there are moments of where I feel that it would've been awesome to share this with someone, but there's also a little sense of achievement when I finally get to my destination after changing the various metro lines, and discovering little things along as I go.

Yet to find out if I'm made for this life but thanks a lot everyone who had replied to my original post and gave me that little push that was needed.

@CassyL @Gabriele @ahmedmousa @aimaatigari @Daisy81 🙏❤️

YES!!! 🎉

Super happy to see this, @AminL!

That's a big step, not a small achievement. Congratulations and I wish you many more adventures like this 😁

Hey @AminL, thanks so much for sharing this update! We love to see it, and like @Gabriele said: that's a big step!! We're so proud that you dipped your toes into the Digital Nomad life, even if for a short while. Every little trip helps to build your confidence in being able to navigate a whole new place, so I'm so thrilled to hear you were able to try it out. If you're willing to make a new post when you return home from Bangkok, we'd love to hear how it went, and what you learned about remote work along the way! Also, now you'll be able to chime in on this post about your Must Have to Work on the Go haha 😉

Have a fantastic rest of your trip! 
-Cassy 

OMG!!! Yes! Happy for you. Please, please share your experience with us!