cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What music do you listen to while working?

Gabriele
Deel Team

While reading into the resources linked in this post about optimizing your home office, I realized it’s been a long time since I listened to any music while working. In the past months, I often rely more on background podcasts, but I used to listen to a lot of music to get me in the zone. 

Do you listen to music, radio, and podcasts too, or are you more of a "total silence" kind of worker? If not, I'd love to hear your favorite genres, shows, or playlists.

14 REPLIES 14

Daisy81
Explorer

I don't love listening to things with words in it when I'm working (specifically reading/writing), so I tend to have to listen to white noise, or i pop in ear plugs so i dont hear anything. When I'm doing more mundane tasks though, I'll go through different playlists, usually with Childish Gambino, Death Cab for Cutie, Bon Iver etc. Fluctuates with my mood. I DO love listening to the Daily Show podcast for dailyish walks though! I feel like it always gives me a laugh. 

I saw that there were some good playlists that were shared here, too:

https://community.deel.com/t5/about-remote-work-lifestyle/work-from-home-playlists/m-p/323#M5

Linuski
Weekender

Depends on my tasks, for some algorithmia or problem analysis I tend to hear classical, it doesn't distract me and help me focus.

For easier tasks I usually move to a variety of rock and metal that keep me energyzed and happy, I might submit typos for playing drums with pencils on my keyboard 

That’s my approach too when I listen to music!

StrangeWeather
Weekender II

Lana Del Rey

Very specific playlist, @StrangeWeather  🙂

We stan

stevegofigure
Weekender

Yeezus, Kanye West (one of the greatest rap albums every written)

Reign in Blood, Slayer (top 10 metal album)

21, Adele (best selling album of the 21st century)

Licence to Ill, Beasie Boys (the first hip hop album to ever go to number one; unrelated but important: I've received three speeding tickets while blasting this)

I get the feeling you enjoy variety and highly-rated music  @stevegofigure . 

Do you change your music selection based on mood and work?

StefanaZ
Deel Team

Depends on my mood. Today, it's Taylor Swift. On other days, it's Disney songs instrumentals, yoga and meditation music, or salsa and reggaeton. 🙈

For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. So collapse. Crumble. This is not your destruction. This is your birth.

kheme
Weekender II

I have two personal playlists on YouTube:

1. Work music
  2. Mollie (inspired by the Spotify playlist by the company "Mollie")

Habuvo
Weekender

I used to listen to NTS radio or some future garage or dub techno playlists on Spotify or YouTube music.

DonPablitoV
Weekender II

My musical selections are pretty diverse - it can be house music, jazz, heavy metal or even peruvian psychedelic cumbia. 

You should definitely check out José James's Erykah Badu's cover album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-8do1sUys

daryldy
Deel Team

Been listening to foreign language music. Helps me keep my focus cause I don't understand the lyrics. 😄 

That makes sense @daryldy . Lyrics can be distracting, at least for me. Weirdly enough, though, I can let a podcast run in the background most of the time, and just register it as background sound