Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deel Team

Are you considering Canada as a destination for work and adventure? The Canadian government is introducing new initiatives to attract global talent and make it easier for foreign workers to enter the country!

📋 H-1B Open Work Permit: 

Starting July 16 2023, 10,000 H-1B visa holders and their families will be able work in Canada for up to three years. This is a great option for those facing layoffs in the US tech sector, or for anyone interested in exploring a new scenery.

In order to qualify for the open work permit in Canada, applicants must currently hold H-1B specialty occupation status and reside in the United States. View the full list of required documentation, submission and processing details, and applications for dependents in our Canada guide

Required documentation 

Applicants must provide a copy of their H-1B visa and Form I-797/I-797B Notice of Action (which is a letter issued by the United States government confirming the H-1B application was approved). Applicants must also submit proof that they reside in the United States, such as Form I-94 (arrival/departure record), recent utility bills, income tax reports, or similar documents.

Application submission and processing

Applications can be submitted online through the IRCC portal with the required government filing fees; the IRCC will then issue an electronic letter with instructions on how and where the applicant(s) must submit biometrics, unless exempt. Some applicants may also need to undergo an immigration medical examination. According to published guidance, it may take the government six weeks to process applications under this stream.

Applications for dependents 

The applicant’s spouse or common-law partner and dependent children (typically those under 22 years old who do not have a spouse or common-law partner) are also eligible to apply for a temporary resident visa, a work permit, or a study permit, as required, at the same time as the primary applicant.

🏝️ Digital Nomad Visa: 

Coming soon! International remote workers will be able to work in Canada for six months. If offered an in-demand job, it will be possible to extend that timeframe to five years.

👥 Visa and Work Permit Alternatives: 

Don't worry if you don't qualify for the above. Canada offers other options through its Category Based Selection Program.

🇨🇦 Time to Start Packing!

Start preparing for a work experience you will never forget! Find more information on Canada’s new rules and eligibility criteria in this blog post, and request a free consultation with our in-house experts.